Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pictures...

So, it's November.

The Diva Baby of Lucan has calmed down a smidge. Not enough for me to reply to emails. Read our book club book. Write anything. Shower.

But, I shan't complain. It turns out she has hidden talents. We had a photo session yesterday - you know the sort of thing, family portrait, all of us looking uncomfortable and forced, captured forever to hang pride of place in the hall (for extra humiliation.) But Diva Baby was a natural! Her first word was practically 'I'mreadyformycloseup'. She turned, looking over her shoulder, eyes popping! If she can avoid the D'Oub snail like metabolism (it's me glands!) and our horror of physical exertion, then she could be a supermodel. But, like, one of those supermodels that goes to Oxford too...

It's been all about the visual arts in the D'Oub household lately...

Myself and the Mr have obviously gone and got notions of being Charles Saatchi and decided what we really needed was a massive art collection. We've been doing with mass produced Ikea prints up till now.  I'm not going to slag Ikea prints off or anything, they've done us very well up to now. But I think there comes a time in a persons life when they just have to get something original up there. Having grown up in a house with a mammy who was an artist, whose works covered all our walls, I felt the need for some actual art work.

We had a budget set aside to have the interior of our house painted. Sure Mr Oub could have done it, but I wanted it done while I was young enough to have the eyesight good enough to enjoy it. But, we've gone and spent most of what was earmarked on pictures. They will have to cover up our manky paint job. Maybe Mr Oub will have to do the painting after all.

First up, thanks to the wonderful Titus, we came across the fantastic artwork of the artist Matt Kish. Loved his Moby Dick pictures. Couldn't resist and bought two!


It's a bit blurry, but I think you get the idea.



Framed and at the bottom of the stairs.

So delighted with ourselves and the pictures, we've been keen to find ourselves some more. I came across the artist Nicole Tilley in the Cow's Lane market a few weeks ago...

She does etching thingys - something about copper and wax and stuff... here are the two prints we bought



We haven't had them framed yet - the village framer is our new best friend, we're putting his kids through college at this rate. But soon they will be up on our messy walls to delight all and sundry.

Inspired by all this, we then discovered a little known Lucan artist who we feel has real promise. Even if her kids ask why she gave herself a beard.

Till next time, whenever that may be :)


Update: Just for Titus, I give u the work of Mr D'Oub, professional pumpkin carver!!!


7 comments:

Rachel Fox said...

Nothing wrong with a good beard...
x

120 Socks said...

Love the artwork - even the bearded one! When are u going to post the family portrait??? Or are you waiting for a deal from Hello?

Domestic Oub said...

I would like to mention the bearded effect was due to my, ahem, sorry, The Artists, inability to draw mouths and it having to be scrubbed out and redrawn a number of times... no actual beard... though of course, not that there is anything wrong with that...

Oh Socks, the minute the portrait is in my hot little hands, I will share :) Though a million euro deal with Hello would be very welcome!

Titus said...

WowOhWowOhWowOhWow. And that's just that final work.

I love your Kish choices! I really covet them. In a good way.

Where do you live again?

Domestic Oub said...

Titus, I'm sorry, our private gallery is yet to be open to the public - even to such fabulous patrons of the arts such as yourself... maybe once himself paints the bloody house we'll let people in... :)

Titus said...

I believe! I believe in Professional Pumpkin Carvers now!

Magnificent work, Mr D'Oub. Now paint.

Niamh B said...

glad to hear baba oub is not going to neglect her studies!! And yep - fierce impressive sketch of the self by the little known lucanian